Tuesday, May 6

Extra curricular Activities

Does anyone have any thought about activities for children and how much is too much or how little is too little.

I want to have my girls in dance again, but it is so hard having 3 different classes (4 if I were to put Addi in, you can start at 2) and then if Dawson wants Karate, that is 3-5 different classes at 3-5 different times. Not only can I not afford the classes but the gas or the time spent traveling to and from.

So what do you think, do you think I should find extra money and time and put my kids in all the things that they would like, or would I be an o.k. mother to let them just play after school like they do now. They don't even notice that they aren't in anything until one of their friends mention something.

Give me your opinion!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I would say if you are going to put anyone in anything start with the oldest (Shally you can thank me later) and go down through kids by age as you can afford it. Sometimes classes are done by skill level and have a couple of age groups in them so Shally and Jennasea might be able to be in the same class which would save on time and gas.
I don't think Addi will notice the difference if she is in dance or not. I have taught dance and the stuff they learn when they are that little almost isn't worth it anyway. People just put them in the class because they think the tutu is cute. So, just make her a tutu, let her dance around the house and save the $20 or so a month. :)

a said...

Ya that's a hard one, especially with multiple children. I guess that's the good thing about only having two. We also have to pick and choose because of money and the time we want to spend as a family. Every family is different, just decide what you think is best. If it doesn't work out, try it a different way, that's one thing I've learned from parenthood, you have to keep experimenting to see what works best for you.

Anonymous said...

what we do is allow them to do one thing per season. Thats it. Whether it be piano or gymnastics or soccer - just one choice. That way they appreciate the time that they are there and then there is no whinning that they dont want to go half way thru the program. It gets too costly. I think its important to get them into things, but i always wonder what the benefits of having them in some of these programs are? do they really need to go into tap or dance? or is it just us wanting them to go into it cause everyone else is doing it or because they will look cute in their outfit?
hope this helps.

Ragan said...

My kids do absolutely nothing! At least for the time being. Tristen and Jarek used to play soccer every season (four of them here), but it got to be way too much with all of the practices and games. Actually, Tristen does do Scouts and Mutual on Wednesdays. I think it really just depends on your family and you have to find what works best for you. I'd say maybe put Shally in, since she's the oldest, and see how it goes from there. Or I like the idea of putting her and Jennasea both in the same class. Our rec centers offer six week classes that are fairly inexpensive, and about the time they start to get old, they're over. But you probably don't have that kind of stuff there, huh?